The Aperio ScanScope AT2 is a brightfield scanner that digitizes whole microscope slides at 20x and 40x magnification and provides fantastic high resolution images (~ 0.5 microns/pixel for 20x and ~ 0.25 microns/pixel for 40x scans). Images can be up to 100,000 by 100,000 pixels in size (which would result in huge gigabyte files), but they are JPEG2000 compressed to a few hundred megabytes for an average-sized specimen. These images can then be easily viewed with your web browser. Aperio also has a free image viewer, called ImageScope, which also allows you to take snapshots and perform quantitative analysis**.
**Please note that if you have ImageScope installed, it may not work with our authentication system, please hold down the "W" key before you open your images.
Full Service Scanning
We do not offer training for this instrument, but we provide full service scanning at 20x and 40x magnifications. Just bring us your slides, we will scan them and then return them to you along with the digitized images. The typical waiting time for scanning is about 1 week. If you need your slides scanned sooner, you may request to use our Express Scanning Service. Extra fees will apply.
Scanscope XT Specs
Aperio ScanScope XT
120 slide capacity
- Objective Lenses
Olympus 20x/0.75NA Plan Fluor
Olympus 40x/0.75NA UPlanFL N
- Input Slide Size
1"x3" (scanning region is 2.5x5cm)
- Reduce costs associated with handling, managing and shipping glass slides
- Improve turnaround time of secondary and informal consultations
- Maximize pathologists' time and reduce time and expenses of covering remote facilities
- Share slides with colleagues and gain rapid access to subspecialty expertise
- Maintain permanent slide records
- Remote Viewing**
- View glass slides on a computer monitor anywhere, anytime, and share digital slides with collaborators around the world**
- Instantly extract snapshot images from any region of a tissue for publications and presentations without the need to optimize camera settings
- View multiple serial sections side-by-side and easily make distance and area measurements for any part of a tissue
- Store digital slides with all associated experimental data, from microarrays to autoradiographs, in one integrated database**
- Make slide data easily accessible and mineable for future experiments in one fully searchable, web-based database**
- Anywhere, anytime access—no need for microscope or lab**
- Digital Pathology Education
- No more concerns about slide loss, breakage or fading
- Enhanced viewing capabilities go beyond microscopes or snapshots. Access entire slide, multiple slides side-by-side, and slide annotations
- Turn a collection of glass slides into a decision support repository, accessible anywhere, anytime.
- Annotate digital slides to highlight regions of note or add commentary. Use intelligent data retrieval to pull just the digital slides you need, based on whatever criteria or attributes you desire. View slides in context, alongside related information, which will facilitate self-teaching and decrease the time required by pathologists to research complex pathology cases**
**must have Heart + Lung Institute web hosting service, fees will apply
If you are interested in this service, please contact us or come by the facility and visit us for more information!