Scott J. TebbuttProfessor
Dr. Scott J. Tebbutt is Professor in the Department of Medicine (Respiratory Division), University of British Columbia, as well as Principal Investigator and Director of Education at the Centre for Heart Lung Innovation, St. Paul’s Hospital, Vancouver, Canada. He is also Chief Executive Office (since 2020) and Chief Scientific Officer (since 2009), of the Prevention of Organ Failure (PROOF) Centre of Excellence – a not-for-profit organization dedicated to moving research findings into health care, and focused on non-invasive biomarkers that can diagnose and/or predict organ failure and other clinically-important indications.
Education & Training
- BA, Hons. (Oxon), Biochemistry – University of Oxford, UK (Oriel College) – 1985-89.
- PhD, Molecular Biology – University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK (John Innes Centre) – 1989-93.
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Institute of Molecular Medicine – University of Oxford, UK – 1993-94.
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Department of Biochemistry – University of Otago, New Zealand – 1994-95.
- Research Fellow, Department of Biochemistry – University of Otago, New Zealand – 1995-2001.
Area of Interest
Dr. Tebbutt’s research program is focused on the molecular and cellular understanding of complex disease and other health-related conditions, including inflammatory disorders of the lung, allergic rhinitis, heart failure, and neonatal vaccinology. His research interests include the evaluation and deployment of new, high-performance technologies to improve biomarker discovery, development and implementation, as well as development of bioinformatic approaches to better deal with sample heterogeneity and integration of high-dimensional ‘omic datasets. Dr. Tebbutt serves on numerous local and international scientific advisory committees, including the BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute “Transplantation and Cell Therapy (TRACE) Program Biomarker and Cell Therapy Oversight Committee (BCTOC),” the United States National Institutes of Health Human Immunology Project Consortium (HIPC) “Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Subcommittee,” and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) “Systems Immunology Task Force.”
- Abhinav Checkervarty – PhD student
- Daniel He – PhD student
- Ji-Young Kim – Postdoctoral Fellow
- Jinelle Panton – PhD student
- Simran Samra – MSc student
- Shanay Niusha – MSc student
- Casey Shannon – Computational Biologist