Beginning in 2008, students who participate in high school student science week at the Centre for Heart Lung Innovation are eligible to apply for the Peter D. Paré Scholarship, an eight (8) week summer internship at the Centre for Heart Lung Innovation (valued at $2,000). Recipients of this fellowship spend 8 weeks working in a laboratory on a research project which they present at the Summer Student Research Day. Past projects and laboratories are listed below.
|2016||The role of Interleukin-1 in driving inflammation and remodeling in the asthmatic EMTU||Dr. Tillie Hackett|
|2015||Changes in Macrophage Populations Induced by Statins in Patients with COPD||Dr. Stephan van Eeden|
|2014||Role of TAR-DNA Binding Protein-43 in Viral-Induced Cardiomyopathy||Dr. Honglin Luo|
|2013||Structural integrity of muscle cytoskeletal filament network: regulation by cross-linker proteins||Dr. Chun Seow|
|2012||The Dynamic microbiome response to lung inflammation and stress||Dr. Don Sin|
|2011||Interstitial Fibrosis in Exercise- and Hypertension-induced Cardiac Hypertrophy||Dr. Mike Allard|
|2010||Studying the role of lysosomal cholesterol as a regulator of ABCA1 expression and high density lipoprotein (HDL) formation||Dr.Gordon Francis|
|2009||Studying the role of Respiratory Syncytial Virus induced inflammation in airway epithelial cells||Dr. Del Dorscheid|
|2008||Studying the molecular and cellular mechanisms associated with pathogenesis of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis||Dr. Darry Knight|
For further information on this program contact Gurpreet Singhera or Educational Coordinator.
CIHR IMPACT Strategic Training Program
The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) IMPACT (Integrated and Mentored Pulmonary and Cardiovascular Training) Strategic Training Program at the Universities of British Columbia and Manitoba trains high quality clinical and basic science post-doctoral fellows with the goal of creating the next generation of investigators capable of developing and translating knowledge from bench to bedside with the outcome of improved cardio-pulmonary health status of the Canadian population.
The CIHR Strategic Training Program provides a very competitive funding and the opportunity to join focused teams of researchers in unique multidisciplinary research groups.
For more information please visit the IMPACT website.
External Grants and Fellowships
Additional grants and fellowships can be found on the pages listed below:
- AllerGen / McMaster University
- BC Lung Association
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund
- Canada Foundation for Innovation
- Canadian Blood Services
- Canadian Diabetes Association
- Canadian Lung Association
- Canadian Society of Atherosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Common CV
- Cystic Fibrosis Canada
- Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada
- The 2017 Henrietta Ehler Summer Student Respiratory Research Awards
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- Parker B Francis Fellowship Program
- ResearchNet (for CIHR submissions)
- UBC Faculty of Graduate Studies - Award Resources for Programs
- UBC Faculty of Medicine - Research
- UBC Office of Research Services